Monday, October 10, 2005

The Smoke Debate Continues...

Interesting article in yesterday's Sun-Times about what local club owners think of the proposed smoking ban in Chicago's bars and restaurants: Bruce Finkleman, owner and manager of the Empty Bottle, 1035 N. Western, has one of the smokiest music clubs in the city. Finkleman is for the ban, but he has reservations, among them where smokers would go..."If I was making the ordinance, I would propose that every place would have a smoking area," Finkleman said Tuesday. "And that area would have to be ventable that was satisfactory to both sides. It's like a weird 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' when there's 50 people smoking in front of a building and you have to walk by this cloud of smoke to get inside." Obviously, there are some logistics to be worked out first, but if they can work things out to satisfy both patrons and club owners, a smoke-free Chicago would be heavenly. I remember the first time I went out to clubs in California and couldn't believe how much better I felt. Not only did all my clothes not smell like ass the next day, but I also had more energy to go out during the night and didn't feel nearly as shredded in the morning.

But, as you may have guessed, I'm a non-smoker and I'm a bit biased. RFC readers, what do you think??? I've heard from many fellow non-smokers who agree with the ban, but I'd love to hear some thoughts from the smokers out there as well. Will this put a damper on your late-night debauchery? Click on "comments" below and vent away...

For more information on the smoking ban, check out www.smokefreechicago.org

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years back I went to California, went to a place called The Elbow Room, and saw Andrew Bird. I could have put my same clothes on the next morning. It was nice not to breath in the smoke, but this is definetly a tricky situation.

10/11/2005 11:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home