Friday, February 11, 2005

Weekend Music Outlook

Friday (2/11): Low with Pedro the Lion and Tim Rutili at Metro I'm still a bit torn on this one...I've already seen Low a few times here in Chicago and I have mixed feelings about the new album (The Great Destroyer). That being said, I've always been a fan of the band and they are always surprisingly good live. An opening solo set from Tim Rutili (Califone, ex-Redd Redd Meat) is a nice bonus, but sitting through a Pedro the Lion set isn't exactly my idea of a fun Friday night. Saturday (2/12): The Perceptionists at Abbey Pub (late) After an early show featuring Dutch indie-rock veterans Bettie Serveert, underground hip-hop group The Perceptionists take over the stage for the late show at the Abbey. (I'm guessing there won't be much audience overlap between shows) Actually more of a side project than an established group, The Perceptionists combines Def Jux solo artist Mr. Lif with fellow Boston native Akrobatik on the mic and DJ Fakts One behind the decks. Much like the Friday night Low show at Metro, I'm also a bit torn about whether this show is worth seeing. I think Mr. Lif is amazing...his 2002 solo album, I Robot, was an outstanding record that I would recommend to any hardcore hip-hop fan. Akrobatik on the other hand...well, he's alright...but I can't say that I've ever been blown away by his work. Furthermore, the Perceptionists' debut album doesn't drop until March, so I have no idea how this new collaboration sounds. This show's a bit of a gamble...but then again nothing beats discovering a new band live first before hearing their record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home