Thursday, October 05, 2006

Live Review: The 1900s @ Subterranean 9/30/06

1900s

Chicago’s very own 1900s are fantastic. They blend the best of melodic '60s pop with full rich harmonizing that makes your heart ache. Both the vocals of Edward Anderson and the two female vocalists, Caroline Donovan and Jeanine O’Toole make for songs that are like sugary sweet candy leaving sticky residues in your brain that you can’t possibly forget. The keyboard and violin always add a nice touch live as well and the new songs, which have become a more substantial part of their set, made me long for the release of an upcoming proper full length follow up to their debut ep Plume Delivery on Parasol records. My only regret is that they did not play my favorite song of theirs, “Patron Saint of Mediocre.” However, “Bring the Good Boys Home” and “A Coming Age” are always great treats.

Chicago is very lucky to have the 1900s here and one other thing I will say is that no matter how many times I see them live, I never tire of hearing these beautiful gems. Their set always seems to go too fast and end far too soon. I hope the 1900s have a really long career ahead of them with many more songs in store because it seems each new song of theirs I hear, I am just a little bit happier to call this city my home. Setlist: Bring the Good Boys Home Collex Not Wrong A Coming Age Wool Oh No Shoot to Kill Acutiplantar View the complete photoset here

3 Comments:

Anonymous Megan Timmons said...

Kirstiecat! I need to meet you-are you going to be at the RFC party on Friday?

This review is exactly what I would have said about the 1900s show at Sub-T! (But I wouldn't have reviewed it because I know Jeanine-I'm biased!) And I was disappointed about the lack of "Patron Saint" as well...

10/05/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Laser Hair Removal Chicago said...

I just saw the pic you posted up and it brought tears to my eyes reminiscing in memories 12 years ago when I myself once had a band as well..
We played in the basement/garage, we performed in talent shows/pubs, we did everything right, we got a record deal with some small time corp, but now I still remain a plumber in misery. Hey ya'll, pursue your dream, dont let it fall out! Make your dream come through because only you can make it true :)

4/07/2009 03:16:00 PM  
Blogger Smarry said...

This review is exactly what I would have said about the 1900s show at Sub-T! (But I wouldn't have reviewed it because I know Jeanine-I'm biased!) And I was disappointed about the lack of "Patron Saint" as well...

___________________
Smarry
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels

7/17/2009 04:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home