Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Live Review - Radio Birdman @ Double Door 9/2/06

Radio Birdman is a recently re-formed band that not only has two amazing classic albums from the late 70s/early 80s, but also a brand new album released earlier this year. Radios Appear(1977) and Living Eyes(1981) are both masterpieces in their own right that helped inspire many other bands of the Australian punk underground. However, as I listened to their new album, Zeno Beach, I found myself hoping they would play ample tunes off of this one live as well. Zeno Beach as a whole sounds more accessible and polished even as it maintains it’s rough edginess. After a few times through, I found myself craving to here Rob Younger’s vocals on “We’ve Come So Far” (To Be Here Today) or the excellent Tek guitar rift found in “Remorseless.” Oddly enough, on “Die Like April,” the vocals are even a little reminiscent of Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen. I’m making a point of declaring how much I enjoy some of these songs because I want to make it clear that Zeno Beach holds up with their best material off of their two previous full-lengths. Radio Birdman did play both older favorites and new songs, though, to put on an intense and engaging show. It’s a really special thing to be able to see Radio Birdman, not just because of their legendary history but also because this is their first ever US tour. I found myself not only loving the songs themselves but watching happily as Younger danced a bit and gazed out amongst us with fiery eyes throughout the duration of their set, which was at least 75 minutes long. The energy of their playing made them a real tour de force to see live and those who have yet to see them, you are in for a real treat.

If you are unfamiliar with this history of Radio Birdman, read about it here...if you would like to hear songs, Radio Birdman now has a Myspace page.

SET LIST: ENCORE:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home