Thursday, September 21, 2006

Live Review: The Dears @ Schubas 9/7/06

Dears

There are so many things both exquisite and painful in this world. From the first word we say to our first time on a swing to the best love we’ve ever had (and the best love we’ve never had), our lives are full of experiences that change the way we remember and keep information that hopefully helps us cope. There is a band, a very special band, that takes all of these beautiful and painful experiences and makes them into the most delicate and passionate songs the world has ever witnessed. And that band, is The Dears. This was the best show I’ve seen all year long. Simply put: phenomenal. The Dears, a six piece from Montréal, Canada are one of my favorite bands of all time and seeing them was a life changing experience. I’ve seen them twice before, once at The Double Door and another time at The Metro, and this was by far the best time of the three. Playing as if they were the voice for millions of revolutionaries bound to start feeling something, The Dears literally felt like they were making the ground beneath our feet shake. The Dears played both some old songs and some new tracks off of their upcoming album (to be released in early October) Gang of Losers, which is finally growing on me to become another favorite after I became so close to the songs off of their brilliant 2004 release No Cities Left. Murray Lightburn played with a passion no one has yet to match and the backing vocals provided by Valérie Jodoin and Natalia Yanchak provided a beautiful sense of balance to the maelstrom of emotion building up. The intensity with the way my favorite song of theirs, “22: The Death Of All The Romance” was perfect. I may have fallen to my knees and wept if I hadn’t been trying so hard to capture it all with my camera. If the Dears are coming to your city or town, do whatever you have to do to see them. Set everything aside for them because they are worth it. The Dears matter. SET LIST: Thedearssetlist Click here for YouTube clip of this show recorded by my friend José Click here for the complete photoset

2 Comments:

Anonymous Bill V said...

They were great when I saw them at the Metro, sorry I missed them this time through.

9/21/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

How did you get such a crummy pic of the hot Dear?

I know too little about this band outside of a few articles and a bit of YouTube but will certainly be picking up the new one.

9/21/2006 10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home